Tuesday, August 14, 2007

HERE I AM!

Sorry for the length of the first Ugandan posting.

I arrived last night after 4 flights to find that they lost one of my bags…the one with all my clothes! Luckily, Josh gave me one of his shirts (and that came on my carry on baggage for safe keeping!), so I have something to wear to bed atleast.

I am staying with my host Rotarian, Tusu and his wonderful family. I am already know as their new daughter! The ride to his home was rather bumpy, to say the least, but once we entered the gate to his home it was lovely. We had “dinner” at 1:30 in the morning and it was very interesting and new, but rather tasty! We had matoke (mashed bananas/plantains) with a purple colored sauce made of peanuts, beef stew, and a leafy vegetable. It was good, although I had sort of a dinner malfunction…due to the fact that I had just be flying and en route for 28 hours and NOT slept my emotions were a little touchy, so every time I would swallow my eyes would fill up with water. Unfortunately, after about 8 bites the tears were streaming down

After a much needed sleep…I was ready to explore.

On the way to see Tusu at the university I was able to witness the wonderfully chaotic street life! It’s absolutely amazing and the vendors at the roadside markets reminded me why I love the developing world so much. Huge piles of pineapples and bananas just covered their tables. A whole year of amazing fresh fresh FRESH food! I was telling the driver that I loved to cook and he was amazed…he asked me “cook what prepared boxed food!”

I got a SIM card, so my cell phone works…email me if you want my number…text messaging is very cheap compared to calling…$1/per minute…have to stick to skype!

I went to TWO rotary meetings today and learned that the 9 of the local clubs have organized four days of medical clinics for the people in the North of Uganda. Many of these people have been displaced by rebels and do not have proper housing, adequate amounts of food, and insufficient access medical personnel, so from Aug 27th to 31st, I will be in the North helping out with registration, meals, and/or anything they need me to do. 

I am going apartment hunting tomorrow…then hopefully learn a little more about my program at school…and HOPEFULLY find out if the rumors that I have been hearing are true…by that I mean- Apparently, my first year of school is for class work and studying and my second year is to write my dissertation and do research. If that is true, I can do that ANYWHERE

AND…GETTING INTERNET SET UP IN MY APARTMENT IS SUPPOSED TO BE EASY WHOOO HOOO….

More to come…

2 comments:

ourcabin said...

hi jenny
you have a lot of spunk as I would never done that.keep putting up new info.
uncle Doug

ourcabin said...

hi jenny
you have a lot of spunk as I would never done that.keep putting up new info.
uncle Doug