Thursday, August 16, 2007

Lovely, Lovely, Lovely!

This is going to be one amazing journey because I am in love with it already.

I went apartment hunting today, it was quite interesting and I want to share a little bit of the dialogue with you all.

After looking at one location I was taken to a group of flats that were furnished. I will admit they were very nice, but I still keep in my that I am in Africa…why should I be living in American/Canadian standards…so I go of the apartment and I say to the agent…

Me: This is a very nice flat; however, I am not able to afford 600 usd/month
Agent: Yes, but it is furnished with very nice furniture
Me: Oh, I agree! But I am not working here I am a student and I have to live on a budget, like students do.
Agent: You are a student? Where?
Me: Makerere University
Agent: It is great. I have a good place for you.
Me: Great, how much does it cost?
Agent: 8
Me: (still completely unaware of the exchange rate) 80, 000 shillings?
Agent: NO! 800 US Dollars…
Me: huh????? -------------------- (Picture me just standing there scratching my head)

As you can imagine…NO I didn’t find a place yet.
Maybe I am completely out of it, but I can’t imagine paying 800 bucks in Africa for rent…that’s like rent in American/Canadian cities.

I attended a Rotaract meeting today (Rotary for University students) and well that was quite comical for two reasons:

First one: Tusu, my host introduces me: This is Jenny Johnson Mathers-the new addition to my family, she is from Quebec, she is going to study Peace and Conflict at Makerere, and she just arrived here on Sunday night. Now…don’t get excited because she is a married woman! (See Josh, I think you will really like him!)

Second reason: The guest speaker was talking about how to get along with your boss…especially if they are sexually harassing you or not treating you correctly. I think the comedy came from his knowledge of women bosses who are TOO friendly with the male workers.

***This is good*** Tusu was informing me today of some upcoming events that he thinks I should participate in.

Rotary presidents meeting…the catch…it is in Nairobi, Kenya!!!
District Conference…the catch…Dar es Salaam, Tanzania… (on the beach I might add)

My reply “Tusu, I am not sure if I can handle all this travel!!!!!!!’

1 comment:

ourcabin said...

i read this before supper and now I am really starving.