Monday, October 1, 2007

I'm getting busier....

Now…I’m finally getting busy☺

Firstly, I would like to thank everyone for the birthday wishes…this was a pretty nice birthday. I received messages from multi-countries, packages, e-mails, a whole wack of facebook greetings, and even a long distance birthday cake (from my honey). Thank-you ALL, you really made my day.

I don’t want to pick favorites…BUT….Josh’s present was the BEST! He purchased his air ticket and is coming to see me from Dec 17th till January 2nd…can you imagine having never travelled abroad and you go half way around the globe to the developing world…wow I am impressed, excited, and counting the days!

My teacher asked me in class the other day if I could explain to the class what a blog is, so I did and gave my classmates this site. I am proud to welcome them and enjoy their comments about my stay here in Uganda.

This week is Makerere University graduation and my Ugandan sister, Brenda, is graduating from medical school! That means we have no school Thursday and Friday. Leaving a little time for me to go Kampala exploring. (Monday’s blog will be full)

Tuesday night I went out to dinner with my new friend Kate. Kate is also in my class and she is from Kansas. We went to a restaurant called Pavement Tandori (Indian) and it was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Kampala has a large Indian population and there are several Indian restaurants all over the city. For those of us Canadians I think we get the wrong impression of my types of food. I remember before I went to China, I kept thinking about the food and when I got there the food was NOTHING like it was in Canada. Therefore, all of you who THINK you don’t like a certain kind of “ethnic” food-if you ever travel to country TRY and TRY and TRY again the different restaurants because I can bet you will not be disappointed.

Then last night (Wednesday) class finished early and a bunch of girls went out; Kate, myself, Marleen from Holland, Elle –another ambassadorial scholar from U.S.A., and Kerry from California (she is interning in Kampala and also Kate’s roommate). We went to an Ethiopian restaurant and I was extremely impressed. As many of you know I love food, but Josh can vouch for me that I only justify spending money for going out if the food is interesting enough that I CAN”T cook myself.
Anyway, it was an absolute blast. We laughed and acted completely silly and talked about everything. I think the evening was a dose of medicine that we all needed. I wont divulge too much, but I think our waitress thought we were NUTS!
For those of you who have never eaten Ethiopian food you should give it a try. I am sure it varies from restaurant to restaurant, but you eat with your hands!! (RIGHT HAND ONLY…because the left hand is reserved for “dirty” things) You will get a large piece of bread that looks similar to a crepe (injera) and it is comes on what looks like a large pizza pan. On the bread will be 3-4or 5 piles of sauces or veggies dishes. For mine I believe one pile was shredded potatoes, a bean dish, and a beef curry or beef in a mild sauce, and then you can order other dishes that you spoon onto the bread. You then pick off pieces of the bread and dip it into the sauces and enjoy!
It was so incredibly tasty and fun to eat. As it got later it got darker and because we were sitting outside near the end I could hardly see what I was eating. We all shared all the dishes and there was not one thing that tasted “funny or weird” to me.

I highly recommend you all to get out the yellow pages and go for Ethiopian food!

No comments: