Friday, September 21, 2007

"Krazy Kampala"

Every morning I wake up and stagger outside to buy the newspaper. Saturday’s paper is quite fun and has a section in it called “Krazy Kampala”. It is one page devoted to strange and interesting stories from all around the world. It’s funny and I have a nice chuckle reading them…

Now, I want to write a few funny things that I have noticed here in Uganda…

1) Uganda animals HAVE to be some of the smartest in the WORLD!! I am not even joking…driving here in Kampala is truly an art. When you walk on the street you have to be extremely alert for motorcycles, taxi’s that dodge in and out of traffic to pick up passengers, bicycles, etc…Anyway, goats, dogs, cows, and even chickens look both ways before crossing the road and they continue evaluating the road situation until they are on the other side… believe me or not…but I have seen it with my very own eyes. It’s amazing…

2) Maybe this is not as “interesting” to some of you, but I find it very startling… Ugandan eggs have very pale yellow yolks…I cracked open an egg to make an omelet the other day and the yolk was very very pale… Do we have different breed of chickens in Canada? (I guess Dad can teach me on this one!)

3) The little children here are so darling and unlike their parents have not seen as many Muzungu, so for those children who get close to me I am certainly a novelty! I would love to ask a child (and I will) what they think of my white skin. If I child gets close and is brave they try to touch my arm. I think perhaps they think I am painted or something…I wonder if they think they can take my white off!! When I see a curious child I bend down to their level and offer them my hand. Some children will be indecisive and others will hold my hand without hesitation. It is very cute…

(**THIS IS ONLY CUTE WHEN IT’S A CHILD OR A LADY….)

Oh and I need to rub something in…Josh (for you newcomers! Josh is my husband  ) has been out in the field training and told me that one night they had to sleep without tents and they woke up with frost on them…(poor baby)…As it is approaching fall in Canada, the weather is getting colder and colder with each passing day. WELL…here in Kampala, we have a nice consistent and comfortable (give or take) 75 degrees each day…warmer mid day and cooler at night…ahhhhh perfection…

Jenny will be nice and content with her GREEN CHRISTMAS!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats ok I will be nice and content with my snow for xmas and MY HOT SHOWERS!! Oh and did I mention having power all day lmao. Miss you loads!!

Leslie

Anonymous said...

HAVE A GREAT BIRTHDAY!!

Jo-Ann & Bill xx

Anonymous said...

Another year older and on the road again

All my love to u on your big day

love dad

Muhwezi Stilson said...

Jenny, I almost laughed all through as I read your experience here in Uganda. Though I am a Uganda staying here in kampala, its nice to have someone do a comparative examination of our experiences. There are things we do here in kampala and we cannot imagine that elsewhere people find them crazy! I think I can also find it funny living somewhere in NY. Enjoy more.
Stilson

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, hope it's a wonderful day...

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a great birthday. It's interesting reading all of your journal entries. :)

I miss you.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Your blogs are sooo interesting and I can't wait to read more. I still can't believe a bug laid eggs in your toe!!!!!
Heather C.