Monday, October 8, 2007

WORK....WORK...WORK....


As you all know I have been complaining that I am not busy enough…well as the old saying goes “ask and you shall receive”. I am now extremely busy…just the way I like it!
I have been taken on as an intern in the commissioner’s office at the Uganda Human Rights Commission (UHRC). It is very interesting, so far and when I applied the chairperson asked me what exactly I wanted to do. I explained to her that I was new to Uganda, my program of study, and that I just wanted to learn about what they do and how they do it. On my first day they informed me that I would be on rotation every month. They have 6 departments for divisions, so to speak, and I will spend one month in every one. This month I am under the chairperson preparing for, none other than, CHOGM and I heard a rumor that next month I will be with the investigations team! How exciting!! That means when a human rights violation is reported I will go with the team to investigate!!
I started last week and I am now working on a packet about public demonstrations and riots. In Uganda the culture of peaceful demonstration is not common and all kinds of rallies usually turn into or start off as violent. My job is to gather information, improve the documents they have already, internationalize the Uganda documents so the Ugandan police and civilians can be taught how to peacefully express themselves in demonstration.
I love that I am able to get an internship here and get experience, so I can finally get working knowledge and put this education of mine into practice; recognized practice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good hun, glad to hear that you are able to get a position like that. I am sure you will find it challenging and interesting at the same time. Keep up the good work.


Leslie

Anonymous said...

Right up your alley, I predict happiness ahead..

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jenny!

Heather