Thursday, August 30, 2007

Life-Uganda Style!

Hi everyone,

Just a few updates…
Update 1:
I am still staying with Tusu and his family and it is very lovely, but as of Saturday I will be staying in my new flat (a.k.a. apartment). It is very open and comfortable. It has two small bedrooms, one of which I will use as an office/closet/storage/research room! There is a big living room, a kitchen with a nice size walk in pantry and of course a bathroom. NOW…I am very appreciative of my scholarship; however, those of us who chose developing countries to study in are faced with a bit of a disadvantage. My apartment comes with absolutely nothing. I have to buy a small fridge, things to cook with (but because electricity is expensive, I should stick with a small toaster over or cook with gas), a hot water heater (that special little chestnut that heats the water as it comes out of the tap-and please do not think because I am in Africa it is HOT…NO…it is not hot. It is warm during the day, from 11-4, and then it gets cool again. At night, when I go to bed, I sleep with a comforter! Then I have to buy a bed, a mattress, sheets, utensils, a desk, light bulbs, curtains, (so every little child in the area who sees that there is a Muzungu living in the area is not watching me sleep and study). Just a lot of things to purchase, it is costly and time consuming.
Anyway, my apartment is on the second floor and I have a nice view out of the front door. I guess we could call it an open-air apartment, because at home when you walk out of the apartment you would be in the hallway. Here when I open my front door I am outside on a balcony of sorts. (I will take pictures later when I actually have furniture). AND, the outside is painted a bright orange color! It is actually brand new and has just been built. It is located near a tourist site, Kasubi Tombs; it is the burial site of the ancient kings. The area seems quiet and hopefully I won’t be woken at 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 am by the neighbor’s lovely roosters!

Update 2:
I have the joy of announcing that I have received my first African hospital visit-including blood test. WOW…I’ve only been here 2 weeks! I will let you know my predicament…when you visit someone’s home they will cook for you. It is very generous and kind, but not everyone realizes that my little system is not used to everything here YET. Water has to be boiled and food has to be carefully prepared…at least for a little while, so I can adapt. Anyway, I went to the countryside to view a potential Rotary project and afterwards we go to a local families home where they have prepared a feast for us. I ask myself…SHOULD I BE RUDE AND NOT ACCEPT THE FOOD…FOREVER BEING THE RUDE CANADIAN THAT WOULDN’T ACCEPT THE ACT OF KINDNESS OR DO I GRACIOUSLY ACCEPT, ENJOY, AND RISK GETTING VERY ILL FOR –I ESTIMATE A GOOD 5-7 DAYS???

Well as an ambassador of goodwill and just plain “JENNY” style…I accepted-gratefully. It is now Thursday and I am still hurting…the doctor ruled out Malaria and Typhoid and told me it was a simple bacterial infection, gave me 4 kinds of medicine, and sent me on my way! I love it!! Love it…

Update 3:

Classes have begun! I guess I have been spoiled by western ways because in Canada and the U.S.A. when one is in a classroom there is silence…presumably, so the students can focus and I guess HEAR THE TEACHER!
Here in Uganda you see, it’s a TAD different…the teacher has to compete with roosters, car alarms, torrential downpours, car horns, taxi horns, motorcycles, screaming students, birds, birds, birds, and how about a few more birds.

Lets turn this into a math equation…

NOISE X 50 (sources) + Ugandan accent = Muzungu without a CLUE

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kd
Sounds like the farm was not so bad
after all lol

I have tryed to call 10 pm your time but no luck getting through
so if i don,t call u now i will try in the am my time
love dad

Anonymous said...

Hi there hun. Sounds like a blast. I am almost glad its not me. Yes in Jenny style you had to have some of that food...not all of it!! Hope you feel better soon.

Leslie